Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Introducciones

Que hacen, world?

I'm Kempa -- 24 years old.

I live in Phoenix, and will be earning my Master's in Mass Communications from ASU's Cronkite School in December of '09.

I like things.

One of those things is travel.

Another one is the Spanish language.

I have spent varying amounts of time in these Latin American destinations: Spain, Easter Island, Mexico, Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, Peru, and Ecuador.

The American government says I cannot go to Cuba, as spending my money there would count as defying sanctions our government still somehow has against them. So, for the sake of conversation, I'll concede that a glimpse at my passport will say I've entered Mexico's Quintana Roo twice one August week in 2006 with no real sign of leaving or, more importantly, entering another country. Figure that out.

I like the world. It's profoundly complex and pleasingly simple all at once. I try to see as much of it as I can -- pending funds.

That said, I returned to the states in April after nine months in South America to attend graduate school here in Phoenix. Now, I want you to picture the apartment of a guy who sold his car to jump continents and whose life has fit on his back the past 12 months.

I have a bed, a bike, and a lamp I found for free on Craigslist. I don't own a couch. I'm relearning how to do simple things like pay bills, return library books on time, and clean myself at least every three days.

I'm still making the transition. Believe me when I say that I sometimes wish I was still pretending I could surf back in Peru, listening to Brazilian music in my shack in Uruguay, or dodging muggers in the Buenos Aires neighborhood Montserrat. Don't get me wrong, Phoenix has plenty of muggers. But, I mean, there's no exotic second-language barrier for me. Come on, mugger. I want to be scared and a little confused.


In any event, this is my thing. It will have a latino twist to it. I will add to it on occasion. It should be interesting because, 1) I am pretty damn interesting, 2) I have a different perspective -- one that isn't quite here (the U.S.) or there (anywhere), and 3) Did I mention I don't own a couch?


And, yes, you read correctly: this is a thing. Not a blog. I always associated the word 'blog' with the burping noise people sometimes let out whilst vomiting. 'Thing' is so much more pleasing aesthetically and phonetically.


Hope you enjoy.

1 comment:

JW said...

All I'm saying is TRY crack. If you don't like it, then fine.